Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Organ Factory In Flames

I awoke yesterday to a plume of smoke billowing up in the distance. Not sure of what was burning, but with nothing better to do at 6AM, Cambria and I set off in search of the fire. As soon as we were close enough to see what was burning, my feeling was right, and The Organ Factory was fully engulfed.
We sat around and watched her burn for a few hours before taking off. It's always hard to watch a building you've enjoyed exploring in the past go up in flames, but there is kind of a closure to it as well.
                               Click HERE to see photos of the factory before the fire.

 

Fire crews were still at the scene around 3AM, when I headed back to photograph some of the damage. I talked with the chief of the fire department, who granted me permission to walk the perimeter of the building, since no one was operating back there anymore.
This was my first real look at the damage, and the scale was massive. It looked as if a bomb was detonated in the center of the mill, causing the rest of violently implode.
Once all the hotspots are tended to, and the ATF finishes investigating the suspicious nature of the fire, bulldozers will be brought in and the rest of the complex razed.



No comments:

Post a Comment